In church grounds at Pimpama, halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, stands a stone memorial-a soldier statue, his head bowed, hands crossed and resting on his rifle, a tree trunk supporting him. It is, in fact, a replica of the original which was unveiled in 1919 following a public subscription.... more
The original stood in the cemetery of Pimpama Uniting (previously Methodist) Church, a tribute to the seven local men who had died in WWI. It was produced by AL Petrie and Son of Toowong, the largest masonry firm in Queensland at the time; responsible for many WWI memorials.
A series of relocations within the property have occurred, the most recent in 1993, when the replica was commissioned. This facsimile, positioned facing the Pacific Highway, was unveiled on ANZAC Day 1995.
The old digger, which was in poor condition, was relocated to Miles Historical Village.... less