John Costello was empowered by John Collin and Son of Melbourne to secure land for the Collins family. It was during one of these early exploring trips that John stopped here and carved his initials (or was it J.C. for John Collin) on the famous JC tree while he was waiting for his billy to boil.... more
A hotel was built nearby at a later date, and when Surveyor G.T. Weale laid out a township in 1884, he gave it the name Canterbury, because the Post Master General's Department would not accept J.C. as a town name. The township and the run was officially named Canterbury, but the hotel continued to be referred to as "The J.C.".
The hotel and township of Canterbury have long disappeared and all that is left is the small remains and cemetery. The tree on which John carved his initials has long gone.
The hotel was a pise building, the rammed earth walls were marked and painted to resemble larger rectangular stone blocks.... less
Children are welcome.
There are no disabled facilities on site, however, persons with a disability are able to access the ruins.
The owner of "Waveney" Mr Walter Shaffer bought the hotel to close the doors, because the stockman were being lead astray and wasting their money in the hotel. The roof was pulled off in 1956 resulting in the pise melting in the weather.
How To Get There
Travel 85 kilometres on the road from Windorah to Birdsville.
* Please note: These rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available costs of listed products and services. To obtain a firm price from the provider, please use the contact the operator. All prices are quoted in Australian dollars.