Brennan and Geraghty's Store, with adjoining residence and cottage, was acquired by the National Trust of Queensland in 1975 due to its historical commercial significance.
The large timber grocery store with masonry facade was operated by two generations of the same family for 101 years. The store was opened in April 1871 by Patrick Brennan and Martin Geraghty. The store traded through to 1972 when it was closed by Geraghty's youngest son George. George was then 88 years old. When George closed the shop, he shut it up with complete stock from the 1890's through to advertising signs of the 1920's and packaging from the 1960's.... more
After many painstaking years of restoration, the store was opened as a museum about itself and its place in the community, it is a rare survivor of our commercial heritage surviving intact with its own contents.
The store is open seven days a week, the adjoining houses are not open to the public. The store is closed during mid February each year for maintenance work.... less
There are three steps at the front of the building, however the rear entry is at ground level.
No smoking, no food or drink and no flash photography allowed in the store.
Coach tours are welcome but bookings are essential, out of hours coach bookings can be arranged and coach parking is available at the front of the museum. There are limited toilet facilities. Souvenirs are available from the museum shop.
How To Get There
The store is within five minutes walking distance from the Central Business District and railway/transit centre. For self-drive guests, use street directional signs or tourist information centre directional help is available.
|Adult||$5.00||01 Apr - 31 Mar|
|$2.00||01 Apr - 31 Mar|
|Concession||$3.50||01 Apr - 31 Mar|
* Please note: These rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available costs of listed products and services. To obtain a firm price from the provider, please use the contact the operator. All prices are quoted in Australian dollars.