Centenary Park has the gold discovery monuments, picnic tables, gas barbecues and is always cool and shady. Centenary Park also has an interesting history tied to the park. The area was first gazetted as Reserve for Public Purposes in 1888. In 1941 the last gazette Order in Council set aside the area as a Reserve for Park Purposes and named it "Sayers Park" after Robert John Sayers.... more
From the City's very early days, the Park was called "Harvey's Reserve", no doubt because Joseph Harvey, a local butcher built and lived in "Tower Villa", an old Queenslander style home that still faces out over the north east corner of the Reserve. During 1972 the Park was re-named "Centenary Oval" as part of the City's centenary celebrations. The 1941 naming had mostly been forgotten by this time, although "Harvey's Reserve" is still the name used by older Cricketers.... less
Children and school excursions welcome.
It is unclear how the Reserve was utilised in the very early years, although anecdotal evidence has social cricket being played there. It is believed that the ground was poisoned during the years of WWII to make a baseball field used by American Air Force personnel.
Competitive cricket in the Towers was played at the Showgrounds until 1946 when play switched to Sayers Park. A small weatherboard clubhouse was erected near the corner of Dalrymple Road and Hackett Terrace. The game was played on two concrete pitches and later on a turf track until the early 1980s.
How To Get There
Pick up a Heritage Walking Map from the visitor information centre located on the T intersection of Mosman and Gill Streets. Ask for directions to Centenary Park, Located at the intersection of Hackett Terrace and Bridge Streets.
* Please note: These rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available costs of listed products and services. To obtain a firm price from the provider, please use the contact the operator. All prices are quoted in Australian dollars.